Dragonfly In Amber

February 17, 2013

I have kept on reading into the second book of the Outlander series, Dragonfly In Amber by Diana Gabaldon. This is my second read through of this series. I'm shocked at how much I have forgotten from this one, however, I will admit that I didn't like this book as much as the others the first time around. The second time however, I enjoyed it a bit more.

Dragonfly, (to save on some typing I will refer to Dragonfly In Amber as Dragonfly), starts out in the 1960's...that is what through me off the first time I ever read this book. We are not greeted by Claire and Jamie, instead we are thrown into the present time and we see Claire 20 years later with her daughter Brianna heading to the manse in Scotland, to meet with Roger Wakefield, the small boy who liked to sleep in the reverend's study, now grown and working for a university.

So much has happened in the 20 years that need to be answered. Why is Claire back? Where is Jamie?! Who is Brianna? Where is Frank? Thankfully, all of that is answered in short order.

Claire has brought her daughter back to Scotland to explain who her father is, what happened to her, and what happened to her real father. This story takes place of two years in the past with Claire and Jamie, in the time that leads up to the final Rising and battle in Scotland. In this time, Claire and Jamie hope to stop Bonnie Prince Charlie from trying to start the assault, that would lead to so much despair for Scotland.

There is so much in this book, that it is hard to write about it all. We still have a lot of the same characters in Dragonfly, however, some will not be seen after this book. Also, we meet a few new ones. A vile reprobate comes back and a new villain comes forward. Intrigue, romance, and a whole lot of history is in the mix. I enjoyed this book so much for the second time around. To read! And before, I think I said that I would break up the books, yeah...that isn't going to happen. I've already started the 3rd. :-)


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Leave a word, leave a line, I would love to hear what you have to say.

Latest Instagrams

© The Shelf Life. Design by FCD.